- By Adventure Done Right
Old Man Storr on the Isle of Skye in Scotland.
The ‘Old Man’ is a large pinnacle of rock that stands high and can be seen for miles around. As part of the Trotternish ridge the Storr was formed by a massive landslide, leaving behind one of the most photographed landscapes in the world.
The Storr walk uses the same path up and down, starting & returning at the same point, the carpark. It covers a distance of 3.8km, with the average time to complete the walk being 1 hour 15 minutes (with no stops). We of course stopped many time for photos and drone video footage. From the carpark look uphill and you will see ‘Old Man’ and the high cliffs that surround. Getting to the foot of the ‘Old Man’ will take about 45 minutes, longer if you stop for rests. Things to note while planning how long your walk/hike may take you.
As you can see from the pictures the fog was thick and heavy for the majority of the time we were there, but we made the best of it and enjoyed our hike and what we could see!
We had a bit of rain on and off from down pours to light drizzle, so Sarek got the chance later on in the day to go further up when the rain and fog cleared and the fog lifted a little bit away, to get some drone footage! Thanks Sarek!
Old Man Storr Day Hiking Tips:
1) Dress appropriately for rain, mud, wind and fog!
2) Waterproof gear: from jackets, pants, and backpacks can be essential depending on how long your hike it, and what the weather is like. The weather can turn very quickly one way or the other. Make sure you protect yourself and your gear!
3) Bring water, take breaks and stops along the way as needed.
4) It can get pretty busy, let people pass as needed.
5) Pack your head/face protection net/hat, it's hiking and rainy season and the biting highland midges are out!
6) The carport is not very big, thankfully we got a sport quickly as a few cars were leaving at once. You will see cars that park along the roadside, if its your only option, take it!
7) Drive up the road past Old Man Storr before leaving if you are on a clear day, you can get some great distance pictures!
8) Also, not that much further up you will discover Kilt Rock Waterfall and a pull off area you can go and explore. Stay tuned for that post and video! Very picturesque!
#IsleofSkye #Scotland #Hiking #AdventureDoneRight #OldManStorr