Adventure Done Right: Hobbiton Movie Set, New Zealand
In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort.”― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Hobbit
Here you will find a Photo Tour of our visit to Middle Earth, Hobbiton Movie Set in Matamata, New Zealand! Of course being fans of Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, this was one of the Must Do Tours we booked when we made the decision to come to New Zealand! While in New Zealand we stayed in Auckland and booked with Red Carpet Tours (New Zealand's Premier Lord of the Rings Tour Company) for the Hobbiton Day Tour. They picked us up at our hotel and we were on our way! We visited the movie set, the Green Dragon Inn and ate lunch in the Party Marquee! On our tour we were told that approx. 3,500 people a day are still coming through Hobbiton!
The Hobbiton Movie Set is the only set that remains intact from the trilogies, and that allows our visitors to fully immerse themselves in the wonders of The Shire. Our guide escorted us around the set, showing us the intricate detailing, pointing out the most famous locations and explaining how the movie magic was made! As this takes places on a working farm you get to really see the beauty of New Zealand, the rolling hills, the sheep and more! The set included approx.12 acres that included Hobbit Holes, gardens, the Mill and the world-famous Green Dragon Inn, where we were given the opportunity to sample specially brewed beverages and ended with a lunch at the Marquee! The detail put into the growing gardens, the hobbit hole homes, lawn decor (ladders to climb the trees, laundry on the line, honey in jars on the door steps, tools hung, fishing gear on display, mailboxes, potted plants and more) was just incredible, and allowing us to go into one of the hobbit holes was fantastic. Just like in the movie! What a day! What a Middle-earth adventure!
We would recommend a day tour to Hobbiton Movie Set for sure!! It was a GRAND EXPERIENCE!
7 TIPS AND THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU VISIT:
1. Book with Red Carpet Tours for a full experience that included information about the start of the tour experience in NZ, authentic movie props you can see like Bilbo's Deed of Contract, lunch at the Marquee and pick up and drop off transportation, and more!
2. We went in late December, which is NZ summer season. The mornings are cool, but there is not much sun shade protection once out exploring the set. Wear layers, bring sunscreen, sunglasses, and water.
3. Your ticket will indicate your tour and when it is time to line up to take a bus onto the farm to get to the set. You will be touring with approx. 40 people on the tour, an entire bus load worth. Stay to the front so you can clearly hear the guide and all the details. A tour departs every 30-minutes.
4. Bring your Go Pro, camera, and more with back up space and storage so you can capture everything on your tour. You don't want to miss anything along the way! Take as many pictures as you like!
5. The Shire's Rest offers refreshments and baked goods that you can stop in at before or after your tour. There is also a gift shop on the property.
6. Stop at the Green Dragon Inn towards the end of your tour! Indulge in a complimentary beverage from our Hobbit Southfarthing range, which encompasses two traditional ales, an apple cider or non-alcoholic ginger beer, all handcrafted and exclusive to Hobbiton Movie Set. Delicious!
7. ENJOY every minute of it! This tour runs for approx. 2 hours.